Monday, June 3, 2019

How We Met

Brock has been SO busy lately with the NBA Finals. He's been stressed with getting all of his new clients ready in time for the games. (If you're lost right now, here's the backstory.) Anyway, some readers have asked if I would share how we met. I was planning to do this at some point, so I guess I'll share this sooner than later.

We actually met in court. I had a trespasser on my property. By "trespasser," I mean my old friend "Corinne" (can't use her actual name per my attorney). A few years ago, she stopped by one night to bring me some "homemade" cookies. (And by "homemade," I mean she personally cut up a store-bought roll of cookie dough and burned each cookies to a crisp.) 

We ended up getting in a fight on my doorstep. Why? Well, while I was out of COUNTRY, she had poached my personal shopper offering her more money and better perks in my peak season of holiday shopping. (I start every August.) I came home to the news and was LIVID. I threw the paper plate of cookies at her as she was starting to go down my brick steps. As she turned back to yell something else at me, her ankle twisted and she fell HARD on her arm and face. She broke her arm on my walkway! To add insult to her injury, she turned around and sued ME for her accident on MY property. Ugh.

So I had to go to court. One day, Corinne's attorney asked for her orthopaedic surgeon to testify about her arm. When he was called up to the stand, I'll NEVER forget the first time I laid eyes on Brock. [STAGE DIRECTION: Cue heavenly angels singing and light shining on him directly from heaven above.] 

Our eyes locked and that's when I knew he was "The One." It was obviously mutual. Dr. Brock approached me at the break, got my number and within a few days of the trial ending, we were having dinner at Ruth's Chris. (That was in 2008.)

We spent every night together after that (either in person or via Skype). I also knew he was the one for me when he shared his story about growing up in an orphanage. Sad, huh? Against all odds, he accomplished his dreams and started his own practice fixing broken bones.

It wasn't the accomplishing his dreams part that got me, but the orphanage. It was then I realized that if things worked out, I would NEVER have to deal with a mother-in-law. He was a one-man band. He had NO parents and NO siblings which meant NO in-laws for me! He was my "Dream Guy" in every way possible.

We've now been married for eight years, and happily married for about five.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2021 Event Schedule

With getting back in the swing of things, I've suddenly realized how many of my friends have moved away. Hello!? Mass exodus out of Cali...