Saturday, May 11, 2019

A Not So Pinteresting Party

I just got home from a baby shower for my friend, Amelia. She and her husband are expecting their first child via surrogate in June. There were a few things of note:

1.) Amelia was complaining of sleepless nights, her back hurting, and just wanting to be DONE with this pregnancy. She said she's been channeling what her surrogate has been feeling carrying HER egg which I think is so beautiful.

2.) More importantly, there was NO diaper cake. The hostess' caterer didn't put out one place card in front of each food item with clever names for the menu.

3.) The food table base was made from an antique crib with a sheet of glass on top. LOVE!!

So I immediately asked Amelia's mother-in-law, the hostess, where she bought it:

ME: "Where did you buy that crib serving table?! I must get one!"

MIL: "I didn't buy it. I made it."

ME: "What? Oh, so you found the idea on Pinterest?"

MIL: "No, I just came up with it. Thought it'd be cute."

ME: "Oh."

Why wouldn't she just use Pinterest? Who comes up with original ideas anymore? I was baffled.

I must say though, the serving table looked divine. The caterer did all different hors d'oerves Amelia has been craving during her surrogate's pregnancy: Lobster cakes, bruschetta, mini salmon croquettes and more. It was all so tasty, so I'll overlook there not being a centerpiece, rolled napkins, and a specialty lemonade stand.

I was so excited since I single-handedly covered the cost of the group gift: A Mima Xari stroller! (I didn't want Amelia having to walk around with one of those lower end strollers like Graco, heaven forbid.) Just as Amelia opened her gift, there was a knock at the door. It was a flower delivery. I knew I wasn't going to be home Saturday morning, the day before Mother's Day, so I sent my florist the address of the shower. I don't understand why that would bother the mother-to-be.

On the days you want a quick fix to FEEL BETTER about your stressful life in your $2.5+ million dollar home(s), make sure your off-site flower deliveries, like mine at Amelia's baby shower, arrive in the moment all eyes are on you already (like buying the entire group gift).

No comments:

Post a Comment

2021 Event Schedule

With getting back in the swing of things, I've suddenly realized how many of my friends have moved away. Hello!? Mass exodus out of Cali...