Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Hater Stater

Yesterday my SYANM treasurer, Terri and I were out shopping for this Friday's big event. Yes, we had to break down and actually BUY a lot of our own supplies this year. SAD!

Btw, I still have not given in to Terri's organic peanut butter request and especially not now when we have all of these unexpected expenses. Speaking of which, we decided to drive right past our neighborhood Bristol Farms and find a grocery store in a not-so-nice part of town to help cut costs.

As we approached an unfamiliar grocery store in a neighborhood with only one-story homes, 

Terri blurted out, "I hate that grocery store!"

ME: "Wait, what?! Have you driven over here before? WHY?"

TERRI: "Because I do."

ME: "Because why?"

TERRI: "Because ... [long pause for like five seconds] because I just do."

I know "hate" is a strong word and we're supposed to love everyone and everything, BUT I'm talking about "hate" in terms of "it bugs" or "it's gross." If you're going to throw out "I hate..." make sure you back it up ASAP with your WHY. Otherwise, it's too open-ended. This has ALWAYS been a big pet peeve of mine. In this case, Terri totally violated my first rule of a "hater stater" (or statement, but "stater" sounds better and rhymes).

For instance, "I hate that grocery store because it's not Bristol Farms or Gelsons." See? I'm not messing around. Declare and beware! People will definitely know WHERE YOU STAND when you speak your mind. They won't fight you either as long as you BACK IT UP ASAP. 

**Speaking up with your strong, declarative statements ("staters") will always make you FEEL BETTER, and help you gain respect fast from those around you. I challenge you to try this.**

A few more examples (practice with a friend):

"I hate that chandelier because it looks gothic."

"I hated Fast and Furious because it had no plot."

"I hate my new Director of Housekeeping at home because her maids don't iron my sheets anymore."

See? It's not that hard. Go get 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2021 Event Schedule

With getting back in the swing of things, I've suddenly realized how many of my friends have moved away. Hello!? Mass exodus out of Cali...