Tuesday, May 28, 2019

A "Cute Meat"

After posting a little about my hubby's job, some of my new readers have asked what I do or did before becoming a stay-at-home wife. I'm so happy to share! I used to be a freelance food stylist. I still take occasional jobs depending on how many miles I have left on my lease to drive back-and-forth to LA. I worked for some BIG and POSH brands (can't be named here due to contracts I signed long ago). It was a blast. 

One funny story: Years ago, I was working on the set of a steak commercial. My assistant called in sick that day, so I had to sear a half dozen steaks ON MY OWN to get them looking really plump and juicy -- just the way the director wanted them before the butter, sour cream and chives went on. It was SO stressful. I usually only did the staging and styling, NOT the actual food prep grunt work. 

The steaks weren't searing the way I wanted, so I ran them to a nearby grill outside in Craft Services on the backlot. It had rained the day before. As I was running outside with a hot plate of steaks, I didn't see the puddle right outside the studio door and went hydroplaning. The steaks went flying into the air and I fell back fast like a Michael Jackson moon walk gone bad. Like really bad. There was a woman from Craft Services standing nearby who tried to catch the airborne hunks of cow. She tried to deflect them, using her forearms like a volleyball player, before they all landed on the wet asphalt. It was devastating and my work was RUINED.

The poor lady's arms had second-degree burns from hot meat and olive oil. I felt so badly that I personally walked her to First Aid to get help. She was out of work for weeks, but we laugh about it now. That's how I met Terri, my SYANM committee Treasurer. She only wears long sleeve shirts these days. And that's why she's so passionate about organic peanut butter. She used it daily after that tragic day to help soothe her burns. 

Speaking of studios and backlots... If you've ever studied the formula for a rom com, a "cute meet" is when the couple first meets in the story. (Now my title for this post will make more sense. HA!) I don't know about you, but hearing about other people's misfortunes (like Terri in this post) ALWAYS makes me FEEL BETTER.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2021 Event Schedule

With getting back in the swing of things, I've suddenly realized how many of my friends have moved away. Hello!? Mass exodus out of Cali...